Here are some of the benefits gained by meditation (taken from yinyanghouse.com)
Physiological Benefits of Meditation
- Deep rest-as measured by decreased metabolic rate, lower heart rate, and reduced work load of the heart
- Lowered levels of cortisol and lactate-two chemicals associated with stress
- Reduction of free radicals - unstable oxygen molecules that cause tissue damage
- Improved blood pressure
- Higher skin resistance. Low skin resistance is correlated with higher stress and anxiety levels
- Drop in cholesterol levels. High cholesterol is associated with cardiovascular disease
- Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing. This has been very helpful to asthma patient
- Slows the aging process.
Psychological Benefits of Meditation
- Increased brain wave coherence
- Greater creativity
- Decreased anxiety
- Decreased depression
- Decreased irritability and moodiness
- Improved learning ability and memory
- Increased self-actualization
- Increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation
- Increased happiness
- Increased emotional stability.
(All these videos are taken from youtube)
There are lots of meditations out there and i plan on purchasing a book pretty soon as i have only had look online so far. Please feel free to comment and suggest any meditations you enjoy and that work for you :) Also click HERE for a introduction to meditation.